This easy to make Slow Cooker Chicken Cheese Tortellini Soup, using rotisserie chicken, will become a family favorite.
Winter weather calls for comfort food! A hot bowl of soup is always in order when the colder weather comes along!
This one with a tasty broth, carrots & celery, Italian herbs, chunks of chicken and little pockets of pasta filled with cheese is a special treat. The addition of the light white miso adds that little extra depth of flavor, aka umami, to the broth. Served with some garlic bread and topped with a sprinkle of parmesan cheese, this Chicken Cheese Tortellini Soup made in the slow cooker, makes the grade in all categories – taste, simplicity, warming and savory comfort.
I have to admit, that using rotisserie chicken for a soup like this sure makes things easier. And what I don’t use in this soup, my husband and son are happy to use during the week in sandwiches.
The fresh cheese tortellini can be found at most stores in the refrigerated section. I got mine at Trader Joe’s but I’ve seen them at most markets.
You may notice in the instructions that I said the soup takes 4 – 5 hours on high. The reason for this is because the slow cooker I have is older and it took 5 hours for my soup. I’m not sure, but I think possibly a newer one would cook faster – that’s why I said check at 4 hours.
And, by the way, I think I need to ask for a new slow cooker for my birthday. 😉
So when the weather is cold, rainy or snowy, and you want the ultimate nourishing, warming, tasty and comforting soup…
Here is the recipe:
Slow Cooker Chicken Cheese Tortellini Soup
- 1 1/4 cups carrots, peeled and diced
- 1 1/4 cups celery, diced
- 3 large cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 6 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 14.5 oz. can diced tomatoes with juice
- 1/2 tsp basil
- 1/4 tsp oregano
- 1/4 tsp thyme
- 1/4 tsp rosemary or 1/2 tsp FRESH, minced fine
- 2 bay leaves
- salt and pepper to taste
- 4 tsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp light white miso
- 2 cups rotisserie chicken, cut in bite size pieces
- 1 10 oz. pkg fresh cheese tortellini
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 15 fresh cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 cup fresh basil, chopped
- a drizzle of olive oil (optional)
- fresh parsley, chopped, for garnish (optional)
- parmesan cheese to serve (optional)
- Add the first 14 ingredients to your slow cooker and set on high, the rest of the ingredients come near the end
- Cook this soup on high anywhere from 4 to 5 hours - check it at 4 hours
- When the soup is just about done, take a little broth out and stir it into the miso to blend and dissolve (so it mixes in well and isn't just a clump of miso) and add it to the soup
- Add the cut up chicken and the fresh cheese tortellini and cook for another 15 minutes until the chicken is heated through and the tortellini is cooked
- When the soup is done, stir in the lemon juice, halved cherry tomatoes and the chopped fresh basil and taste for seasonings - add more salt and pepper at this point if needed and remove the bay leaves
- Garnish each bowl with chopped fresh parsley and a sprinkle of parmesan cheese (optional)
Adapted from: Real House Moms
If you make this recipe, be sure to share it on Instagram and tag me @eatinbowls and use the hashtag #eatinbowlsrecipes because I’d love to see what you’ve made!
*ALSO – Let me know how you like this recipe or if you’re wanting to make it and please leave a comment below and a rating, I’d really appreciate it.
Thanks so much friends! xo